In response to this, I received some initial feedback about the background being too busy and somewhat confusing. Then, two incredibly creative buds chimed in with some great ideas. Again, the busy background was at issue, as was the color scheme, which didn't seem to match the leotard colors (or Utah's colors) in any way. Further, it was pointed out that the font/lettering did not seem to fit with the grace and beauty of the images, and that the ordering of the text did not seem right. Finally, it was suggested that I consider adding in the school logo on a layer below the main subject. I think that covers most of what was so astutely pointed out as being 'off' with my original creation. So I set to work trying to address these issues. Here are two revisions I came up with:
Consensus was that the second (right) was better given the color scheme that matched the leotard colors. Having thus arrived at a background I could live with, I set to the task of finding a few more photos to work with. Here' another with some minor modifications to what is basically the same design.
And here's an attempt to see if this could work with a horizontal design:
I'm pretty happy with my results thus far, and I welcome your comments. To Paul and Tom I say thanks, my friends, for your willingness to share your exceptional vision.